Monday, November 20, 2006












Another week has flown by, where is the time going? We had another long boring weekend with Steve working 12 hour days. Look forward when this will be all done with in the new year. To top it all off, our dishwasher has bit the dust. It was older and came with the house, so sad since we have had to actually wash dishes the last couple days. There is nothing else I hate more then washing dishes. So until we have the funds for a new one, I guess we will have to go back to the old way for a while. How did I ever survive without one?
The tree is up, the decorations are up, the shopping is done. We are officially ready for Christmas to arrive. Aidan, being the smart guy he is, is very aware of Santa Claus being pretend. I apologize to any children whos dreams are ruined by what he may say to them. Cassidy, on the other hand, has always had a huge imagination and very much believes he is real. But for her, it really isn't that hard. For he must live with all the princesses and fairies she adores. We aren't pushing the whole Santa thing. We don't have 'santa' gifts, and we don't put cookies out for him. We really want the kids to grow up knowing that Christmas isn't about Santa and gifts.
I am wondering if anyone has good ideas on celebrating advent or doing any other activities that might teach the kids about Jesus's birthday. I know someone mentioned to me once that they had baked a cake on Christmas day for Jesus.
As for Christmas celebrations, it looks as though the Harder side will be celebrating early on December 8th this year in Winnipeg. It also looks like Steve's side will be at our house on Christmas day. I guess I will be purchasing a ton of plastic plates and utensils if my dishwasher isn't running by then!!







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can have my dishwasher at the cabin, if you come and get it. It just sits there. Good to hear that Santa isn't the main focus of your Christmas. Apparently in Brandon this year, no school is allowed to have anything to do with the nativity at their concerts. And everywhere you look it says "Happy Holidays", instead of "Merry Christmas" Pretty sad. I should have borrowed you my advent calendar. You kids always enjoyed it, adn it has a verse for everyday. Now that your al ready for Christmas, what have you got left to do?? Love mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
You've got such adorable kids, enjoy them everyday. It's like you said where is the time going. I remember when you stayed at our house when Steve was still involved with Youth for Christ and Aidan was just a wee little baby and look at him now!!!!
When your cousins Michael and Lyle were growing up I steered them away from santa and all that came with it.I would bake a cake and write Happy Birthday Jesus on it or I would get an ice-cream cake from Dairy Queen and have them write Happy Birthday Jesus on it.My kids are a lot older then you now, but last year I still bought another Dairy Queen cake celebrating His birthday.I hadn't done it for a while but since Lisa came into our family I wanted her to know some of the traditions we had when the boys were young. It is really nice to have some things that the kids will always look forward to growing up.
You are so organized to have all your shopping done already, now you can relax and enjoy all the frenzied people running around. You can be relaxed and will be able to enjoy "The Reason for the Season"
P.S. Waiting for news as you all are on the arrival of another grandbaby for you parents. Love Auntie Hilda

Anonymous said...

what Hilda suggfested about a cake is great. Maybe we could do that on the 8th. Waht do you think?? mom